Jailed in Owerri,
Nigeria
Police came after me
In Nigeria,
Owerri
(pronounced O war ree)
Took picture
of
man in kaftan
yellow the color
didn't know
he was
undercover
Van drove up
"give me the camera"
cop demanded
I threw it
in water
"ok that's it
follow me"
we followed
my friends
and I
behind the van
we were put
in a cell
"now you must pay"
for taking
picture
of our
policeman
"I didn't know"
I pleated
"Just liked the color
the kaftan
was bright
yellow"
The cell was cold
dirt floor
no door
bars
no glass
in window
harassed
Police Chief
"you must
pay for
camera"
he
stammered
"or in jail
you'll
slumber"
"We'll stay
in jail"
we said
"we'll not
be bribed"
was our
diatribe
We called
our friend
and he got us
out
after much
worry and
pain
we gained
our freedom
Michaella Lazarus
March 1, 2016
No comments:
Post a Comment